Come discuss with us! All honesty is honored and treasured.
Whether it be as a reader or as a blogger, we’ve probably all been through that awkward they-might-think-I’m-weird stage. When I first started interacting with the bookish community, I felt kind of scared, intimidated and shy to approach other bloggers and authors, but now I’m getting around to it, slowly but surely.
I’ve tweeted to a bunch of authors whose books I loved, and I’ve talked to fellow booknerds about all the bookish things!
Here are a few facts that might help you get out of your shell:
- Don’t worry about leaving comments on blog posts–most bloggers will appreciate your comments and thoughts, whether you agreed with them or not.
- Scared to tweet to your favorite authors? Worry not–some authors will favorite/retweet your tweets, and a handful will even reply to you personally! They love knowing that their books are being read.
- You think replying to a bookworm’s tweet will be weird? Nah–most of us find it awesome that other readers want to try and get to know us! It feels awesome.
- When you’re posting something–do you think it might offend someone? Relax! You’re probably just overthinking it. If you just want to share your opinion on a specific topic, go for it! Spread your arms wide for both agreements and disagreements coming your way. It’s normal. But still, make sure you’re not intentionally bashing someone/something.
Scared you might come off as creepy, stalker-y or rude? Here are a few tips:
- When it’s your first time interacting with someone, keep it cool. Don’t get too personal at first–you can do that when you guys have talked more.
- Relax. Be natural! No need for all that formal talk. Even the authors want you to be yourself.
- Show your enthusiasm–but not to much. For example, you’re excited for something–one exclamation point is enough. More than two and you might come off as a bit scary (unless you and the person you’re talking to are both eager, which makes it totally not weird).
- When stating your opinions, don’t bash others’. You have the right to your own opinions, and others have theirs.
So, are you ready to get out of your shell? Have you been out of it for forever? xD Any additional tips?
Aimee loves being a little bookworm (okay–she doesn’t like being little). She also loves chocolates and sweets but is freaked out by the thought of possibly getting diabetes.