Undead Monthly is the monthly roundup or summary here at the blog.
First, we’ll list down the highlights of the month, if there are any, as well as some personal life highlights. Then, we’ll have a “featured books” section, where we’ll share our favorite books of the month (one from Aimee and one from Dyan); we also have our “Featured Heroine“ feature, which used to have a post on its own, but we’ve decided to add it along here! We’ll also be listing down our reviews of the month and discussion posts for you guys to check out! Lastly, we’ll have a wishlist/to read section for the following month!
Of course, feel free to leave links to your own monthly/weekly summaries and we’ll try to check them out ASAP.
• Aimee and Dyan are finally done with 8th grade — wohoo! It was awesome when their report cards were given out this Monday, signaling official the end of the school year.
• We changed our blog name to Deadly Darlings! Check out why in this post. We were previously called Read by the Undead, and even before that, The Shadower’s Shelf.
• We’ve started yet another feature called Random Recommendations! It’s where we pick a random genre/topic, a random date, and a random number of awesomeness to recommend! Our first recommendations are Cinder by Marissa Meyer and Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay! Check out are post here.
• WE HIT 200 Bloglovin’ followers! Awesome. Thanks guys. ^_^Even if we’re still considered a pretty small blog, this was a pretty big milestone for us.
• There’s a new “Recommendations” section in our sidebar! This will feature our latest 3.5 + star reviews.
This was such a lovely, heartbreaking and heartwarming story. I adored each character, their strengths, weaknesses and everything about them. Normally, this wouldn’t be something I’d love, but Courtney’s writing style made it so easy for me to connect to the characters. So much feels, guys. If you haven’t read this one and are willing to go through a tear-jerking ride, I highly recommend this one.
All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill (goodreads) | 5 stars
My favorite book of the month is All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill. The world it was set in was awesome! The writing, surprisingly, was not confusing at all! The characters were really well-developed — all of them had their distinct traits and personalities. Best of all, the romance between Finn and Em was absolutely lovely.
Aimee’s featured heroine of the month is Alexi from Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens.
As stated in her review, Aimee definitely thought that Alexi was wonderful. Despite all of her flaws and the issues she has about herself, she managed to find the strength to finally solve her problem(s).
She was also a very caring person. She took into consideration the feelings, lives and situations of other people before those of her own. She never wanted to hurt anybody, even if that meant living in a dark cave (figuratively, of course).
I also found her character to be realistic. Check out this snippet from my review: “Normally, I have issues about girls not immediately voicing out their abuses, but Alexi’s ways of dealing and reasons for keeping to herself were just so realistic that I didn’t have a problem with her silence.”
• The Winner’s Curse (The Winner’s Trilogy, #1) by Marie Rutkoski // 3.5 stars
• All That Glows by Ryan Graudin // 4.5 stars
• Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas // 3.5 stars
• This Side of Salvation by Jeri-Smith Ready // 3 stars
• Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens // 4 stars
• Above by Leah Bobet // 1.5 stars
• Movie Review: Divergent (novel by Veronica Roth) // 2 stars
• Aimee wants to know how you pick books to read.
• We also have that cover discussion you see everywhere.
• How do you feel about being the black sheep?
Click on the covers to check out these books’ Goodreads pages!
Aimee’s Wishlist (published in April)
There are so many awesome books coming out this April! Here are just some of the ones I’m eagerly awaiting:
Future Posts (still planned, unsure)
• Mini Reviews: The Lost Prince + The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa
• Review: The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa
• LGBT April reviews. Curious about this? Check out our post!
• Random Recommendations #2
• Discussions & Confessions
That’s it for this month’s wrap-up, guys! Be sure to leave links to your monthly/weekly summaries for us to check out!